Monday, April 15, 2013

Junior League of Birmingham's Bargain Bash DIY Project

It has been awhile since I have posted on the blog! As I stated in a previous post, Facebook has become such an easier (and quicker!) outlet for me to work with. I did want to do a post, however, about the piece I am transforming for the Junior League of Birmingham's Bargain Bash event next week! (If you are a Facebook follower, you have seen information about it and the piece's progress.) I was connected with this great organization and asked to choose a piece from their warehouse to completely transform for the event coming up next week. Getting to go "pickin'" in this warehouse of garage sale treasures was like paradise to me!:)



Although there were many tremendous options, one of the last pieces I stumbled upon was this beauty. When I saw her, I knew she was the one!



I immediately began brainstorming with a dear friend of mine, who graciously accepted the invitation to come hunt with me, about the possibilities for her transformation. She did need some structural work first, though. A split top and disconnected corner accents needed to be fixed!





After debating in my head about what look to go for, I landed on a classic and gorgeous style that I am loving right now in my transformations! Knew I wanted to do a dark, rich stained top with a classic, antiqued cream bottom. There's just something about this lovely, neutral finish that is just right! Here is an example of a dining set I recently completed with this finish:




In order to get there, I had to sand off the entire original finish on top, bringing it down to the bare wood.



And here is the bottom after one coat of "antique white" paint.



Today I finished up the paint job and will begin the staining process tomorrow. After that, a little distressing and an antique wax finish on bottom, and a just right poly coat on top and she'll be ready for the event! Stay tuned for the final result!

No comments:

Post a Comment